Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Day 17, Cold then warm



Woke to cold and chilly Waiouru and after yesturday's icy winds I had to purchase a warm ski hat to prevent my ears freezing again. The sleet had started and we were keen to get away, but before we left the far reaching outskirts of Waiouru the snow started to fall so I was walking as fast as I could to get distance between Waiouru and the snow.

The roads are well maintained in the central plateau. The roads are newly sealed so I followed previous request that I wear some sort of footwear on newly sealed roads to help preserve my feet from the snow and icy roads.

On arrival inTaihape we were greeted with balloons tied to power poles and a group of children with blue balloons to welcome us to Taihape, what a beautiful welcome. We all had photo together and Mike and I had a short interview with Taihape Times newspaper.

We arrived in Mangaweka much earlier than expected because there were many areas along the road that were not safe to walk so we had to drive. In Mangaweka we met and stayed with Hariata and Giuseppe and were treated to real, delicious, home made Italian spagetti.

No comments: