Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Day 22, Parliament and where to from here.......



Wellington provided one of those wild wet and windy days that it is so renowned for. However it did not dampen my spirits, I was in Wellington and decided to walk to the Beehive from the Cambridge Hotel where we were staying. It certainly would not be a long walk. Wellington would have provided me with the worst weather of my hikoi. The winds would find wind tunnels through the concrete jungle that would almost lift me off my feet. Yes, I did go bare foot through the streets of Wellington to the Beehive.

The Cambridge Hotel has the most well presented backpackers (flashes) I have ever seen. Lots of room, tiled ablution areas, large kitchen area, not so large lounge but a wide screen TV where we watched the All Blacks ??????? to France. That is another story.

When I arrived at Parliament I was asked to wear shoes due to reasons of health and safety. Ironic is it not? Walk the whole north island bare foot to be told when we arrived at our destination that we had to wear shoes.

With relief once we reached Steve Maharey’s office I was allowed to remove them again. Well the meeting with Steve Maharey went well and I believe successfully, for he was able to answer questions that I put to him sufficiently to satisfy my team and I. We were informed that he and other relevant minister would be meeting with Cindy Kiro to discuss her proposal and to consider raising the profile of ‘Child Abuse’ issues under the umbrella of ‘Stop Family Violence’ campaign. The meeting would also include discussions about ring fencing funding for the different areas of family violence.

I left satisfied that the first phase of the ‘Blue Ribbon Campaign’ had been successful.

Where to from here? Well the hikoi is complete but the campaign to stop child abuse will continue. After a few days rest and enjoying family and being home the next phase will begin:

1. To closely monitor and track progress with discussion regarding Cindy Kiro’s proposal.
2. Continue to campaign against child abuse in NZ.
3. Identify a specific annual BlueRibbonCampaign day in NZ.
4. Develop a directory for national and regional links to services and providers working against child abuse. In addition providing information on how where and what those services and providers can do for the average lay person.
5. Provide links and statistics about child abuse locally and internationally on the web site. 6. Provide evidenced based research on child abuse on the web site.

Watch this site and see what will appear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a difference between the two? Profit/loss will be cut by the same amount either way, correct?
[url=http://forexrobot-review.info]best forex software[/url] [url=http://www.bf2-gtb.de/thread.php?threadid=440662]unlock iphone[/url]

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd like to congratulate you for such a great made forum!
Just thought this would be a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Hilary Driscoll
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/hot-wheels-party-supplies.html]hot wheels Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike