Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Day 2 still going

Today was the result of yesterday's walking on gravel roads for 20 odd kms. Sore feet and very stiff legs making the walking difficult. Had problems getting up and down steps and getting out of the car, however not too bad once things loosened up after the first 50 - 100 meters. We got off to a late start to the day due to the difficulty in moving.

Another beautiful day. Northland is a very warm and friendly place.

We definitely need a support team of masseuse, cook and secretary.

Keeping up with everything was hard today due to sore legs. My sister Puna our support driver did some walking yesturday and today and needed massaging and pampering tonight. I had to massage myself. My cell phone has just died and I would like another....... no I need another. I had a number of messages on my cell phone and lost them when my phone died.

It was a bit of a boring day today but we expect it to be quite different tomorrow lots of walking, funny that.

Bailey has been absolutely wonderful on this hikoi although it is early days yet. He is full of energy and fun. He dances, plays games, jokes does the haka, all manner of things to keep us occupied. Time passes quickly when he is out walking. Great to have him on board.
Sadly the girls both have blisters. Lois is much worst than Tash so she did not walk at all today because we could not find anywhere to buy sticking plasters.

Puna and I could not get the gas cooker to go tonight and thought we were in for a cold meal but we had a microwave where we stayed. So we had the left over soup and toast.
Schedule for tomorrow: driving to Kaitaia spend a bit of time there then head towards Mangonui and along state highway 10. We will be staying at relations at Awanui tomorrow night. We will visit selected towns along the coast e.g. Coopers Beach and Kaeo the next day and possible stay at Kaeo over night. This should keep us on track so we end up in the right place at the right time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Parani,
am following your progress daily and trying to get the message out about what you are doing. The girls and I hope to be able to walk with from Ngaruawahia to Cambridge (this depends on me being able to find someone to take my class that day). Just want to let you know we think you are doing and admirable thing and look forwards to seeing you soon.
Sue

Unknown said...

Hi Parani, Going on leave 28th Sept, coming up North and hoping to see you on the way, and walking some of the way with you. Kiriwai said its unfair to gag me, as you will really enjoy listening to my informational korero eg gossip along the way, but you know me i listen really well and will do what you say. We are all proud of you girl. Arohanui Trish.