Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Day 7 Hello Faye

Once my suite case was found and Aunty Rene ensured we were all packed in the vehicles back to Warkworth we went. This is a quaint looking town with paved footpaths that I thought would be fine to walk on. The brick paving areas were great but once back on the concrete foot paths I found lots of bits of glass everywhere. I was soundly informed by my driver (and big sister) that it would be advisable to wear something on my feet when in towns due to the amount of glass. Adhering to one of the goals of this hikoi: ‘Accept the hand of help.’ I now carry jandles with me for the specific purpose of walking on footpaths in towns.

Once Warkworth was completed I said my good byes to Puna, Bailey and Rene. Thanks Puna for all the advice and suggestions along the way to give to all my subsequent drivers.

Hello to Aunty Faye and whanau at Waiwera. Joining me now are new driver Faye and whanau Koralan and all off to Orewa and Silverdale where the power was out along with Warkworth and nobody knew why.

Faye being keen and energetic after her recent trip to Holland, picked up the pace and we reached North Shore by 4pm. Unlucky for us the rain came down in bucket loads. Walking without shoes was near impossible but I did not have any shoes to put on so tried my jandles. Now we all know jandles are absolutely useless in the rain, particularly rain this heavy, so off home we went to an admonishment from Ant (Faye's husband) to "harden up!". It was the difficulty with traffic being able to see us, not the fact it was wet, that sent us home.

No comments: