Sunday, September 23, 2007

Day 5 A fun day

Started in Kaikohe while doing some business. Sold some shirts and a number of buttons. We drove towards Moerewa to start our day and the rain started, so we donned our see through plastic rain coats.

The children and I had fun running and playing in the puddles and walking on the grass on our way to Moerewa. Walking on the grass verge meant we had mud squishing through our toes, splashing in the puddles and walking in the gutters and it was a nostalgic walk back to my childhood. My feet loved it. Today was certainly starting out as a fun day. The cooler the weather the better my feet like it.

The insect bite a I sustained to my left foot on our second day was still causing problems. I did think I might need to give up this Hikoi because my foot swelled up and was red and sore on Day 2. We did wonder if it was a spider bite but now think there are just mean sand flies or mozzies in the North. The truckies as usual giving friendly waves and tooting.

Puna and I walked in relays to speed up the walk to Kawakawa from Moerewa and to relieve driver boredom. We were met by the staff of Ngati Hine Hauora who joined me on the hikoi through Kawakawa. Thank you all for your support.
Sadly Tash and Lois left us and returned to Kaikohe with the nannies.

Puna, Bailey and I continued on to Whangarei, via Hikurangi. It is an old railway suburb of Whangarei with a number of old railway houses that look well cared for.

Once we arrived at Whangarei we realized that we were all exhausted with long days so went to Pera’s for a much needed nanny nap.

No comments: