Thursday, September 20, 2007

Day 3 Cold and stiff

Woke to a cold and wet day very sore and stiff legs. My support driver and big sister Puna is in a worst state than I am. Painful to move around and up and down steps, well we don't want to go there. Thats Puna. I was better but still a little sore on the steps.

Left the Everitt whanau home in Te Kao. What a hospitable little town that was.
Started just north of Houhora and the rain eased off. Houhora is a much bigger town than I realised, it is spread out and runs into Pukenui. I did notice a number of fishing boats moored in the inlet suggesting there is good fishing out there.

A big apology to the owners at Houhora Chalets for not arriving on Monday night or Tuesday nights. Northland has terrible reception for cell phones we were pretty much stranded until we reach Awanui a little further south.

We drove on to Kaitaia because we had changed our schedule after not receiving permission to walk the Mangamuka gorge. Insufficient notice given.

The people in Kaitaia are a very touchy, touchy, feely, emotional lot. I shed a few tears with a number of people along the way. We had a couple of woman from the womans refuge join our hikoi/march bare foot and gagged. Courageous and dedicated ladies towards stopping child abuse and preventing domestic violence. Oh the Northland heavy rain started shortly after leaving Kaitaia and we got drenched in Awanui. Heading back towards Taipa. It was late afternoon wet and dark not safe out on the road so we stopped early. Lucky for us because we found Tanzi.

A very special thanks to Tanzi Allen of Muscle Worx, at Beta Body Health and Fitness for the professional and knowledgeable massage and much needed massage to our aching legs at the end of the day. To all the staff fat Beta Body Health and Fitness thank you for your welcoming friendly manner you showed towards the children and I and allowing us to try out your equipment while waiting for a massage.

The children and I were intrigued with an exercise that looked like weight lifting jazzasize. Wow, that looked like the best work out for an hour I had only seen since in the military.
Thanks to Rea for the delicious corn beef stew we had for tea. It has been a long time since I had some and absolutely loved it.

I would like to make a special note about the children walking with me. Bailey is my nephew who is energetic and full of life. He loves to meet people and promote our campaign to stop child abuse. Tash my cousin/sister who is shy and humble but very caring. Lois (also quiet) needs lots of encouragement. The children take turns walking with me and Puna (when I get some relief) to ensure we are not alone on the hikoi and do all the talking for us. This hikoi is to give children a voice not adults. Thank you to everyone who has spoken to them and appreciated the magnitude of the task.
Tomorrow we are starting outside Taipa and Coopers Beach towards Mangonui. From Kaeo we will head towards Kerikeri junction/Bulls Gorge stopping off at Waipapa on the way. We will end the day there and head to Kaikohe for the night.

No comments: