Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Day 8 Aucklanders

Sorry Aucklanders, there were way too many cars, trucks and vehicles of all sorts on the roads today. The roads do not allow for a lot of street parking and I can see why. I tried to go bare foot through central city but to do so would cause me grave multiple injuries, so the faithful versatile jandles came out again. Yes, yes it seems to defeat the purpose of the Hikoi. However I did not train as a nurse and get a degree or two just to send my brain on holiday at critical times. Being of sound and rational mind I need to keep myself safe and be realistic and to WEAR something on my feet when walking on glass.

Faye again kept the pace on and we made it down Great South Road all the way to Papatotoe. It was like a trip through East Asian food markets. The smell of the rich spicy foods was delectable. However we did not stop to partake, why? Some might ask. Rationally we are walking along the road and do not always know where we might stop for the rest rooms.

Met up with Uncle Jacko and a top up of the much needed and appreciated drinks. H2Go kiwi fruit flavour is better warm or even diluted in hot water to drink rather than chilled. Thanks Uncle Jacko, good luck with your plans for retirement.

I was given a pair of shoes to wear for tomorrow to wear on the Hikoi. As stated previously I will accept the hand of help and wear the shoes; however I also stated I will start each day bare foot. I will see how it goes.

We stopped just in time to purchase a couple of items before heading home for a rest when a thunder and hail storm fell on the city drenching everything. This did not help progress on the return home along the motorway during peak hour traffic. I believe it took us approximately an hour and a half to travel 20kms along the motorway. I do not envy Aucklanders.

No comments: